Wednesday 21 September 2011

Interviewing Creatives


I hope to blog at least twice each month.  This journey I have started, God in the Creative Process: In Search of the Story, is taking some fun and enlightening turns.
My interviews have been especially insightful.  
Dr Bill Edgars (see the June 28 blog for more info on Bill)
Dan Cautrell is a hockey buddy of mine and full time artist.  From his Fusion Press Studios he produces some great, thought-provoking art.  He has also done some uplifting nature art he refers to as Offerings To The Winds.  (I intend to show some of his work in a future blog)
Michael Card has been one of my all time favorite songwriters.  He has written nineteen number one songs on Christian radio including El-Shaddai and won five Dove Awards.  Of his twelve books, I just recenty reread Scribling in the Sand and for the first time, The Walk, a wonderful story of his spiritual journey with his mentor, Dr. Bill Lane, who taught at Seattle Pacific University until he moved back to Franklin, Tennessee to show Michael ‘how a Christina man dies.’  I cannot recommend highly enough, these two books.
Monica Ganas and her husband, Scott, were friends of ours at Asbury Seminary.  We spent an inordinate amount of time just laughing.  Marsha and I still repeat quotes from those days.  
Monica is now Dr. Ganas at Azuza Pacific University, where she started out teaching a few classes on the arts, culture and faith, and is now professor over the department of Theater, Film, and Television.
If you IMDB her, you will find she was Mrs. Jelly Donut on the Pee Wee Herman Show, Ruby on Mork and Mindy, a regular performer on the Billy Crystal Comedy Hour, and writer with Paul Reubens on the 2011 The Pee Wee Herman Show on Broadway.
Makoto Fujimura is an artist, writer, and speaker who is recognized worldwide as a cultural influencer by both faith-based and secular media. A Presidential appointee to the National Council on the Arts (2003-2009),  he is the founder of International Arts Movement.
For more info check out his website:  www.makotofujimura.com
I have three more interviews I want to complete.  These will be done by phone.
Mark Johnson started Playing for ChangeI stumbled across PFC when I saw ‘Stand by Me’ being played by musicans from around the world on the internet.
From the PFC website:  PFC is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating positive social change through music education. We are driven by the belief that peace and change are possible through the universal language of music. By providing children a safe place to learn, flourish and express themselves, PFC programs provide a creative alternative to the struggles many children face daily.  To date, seven music schools and programs have been created in countries including South Africa, Ghana, Mali, Rwanda, and Nepal. Each offers students the mentorship and guidance they need to grow and thrive through interactions with other students, schools, teachers, and musical cultures.
This last Saturday, September 10, was the first Playing For Change Day to help further Mark’s vision.  Somewhat ironically, I found myself playing guitar and singing ‘Stand by Me’ with some friends at a party.  
I met Mickey McGrath a few summers ago at the Grunewald Guild in Leavenworth when I was taking a songwriting class.  Mickey is an Oblate of St. Francis de Sales who lives and creates in Camden, NJ.  He and other creatives are combining art and faith to bring beauty and God’s love to this troubled city.
In 2010, Mickey enjoyed two memorable events: His painting, CHRIST THE TEACHER, was presented to Pope Benedict XVI ; and ST. CECILIA’S ORCHESTRA, (World Library Publications), a collaboration with Alan Hommerding, was awarded a silver medal prize for children’s books on spirituality by the Moonbeam Children’s Book Publisher awards.
I’ve used several of Mickey’s books, including ST. CECILIA’S ORCHESTRA for my children’s sermons.  
Berta Yazzie.  It has been my habit, for some time, to purchase local art when we travel.  I have some great art from Paris, Venice, Israel, London, Jamaica, Caribbean, Italy, and Mexico.  When Marsha and I were at Four Corners this summer I bought a unique piece of art.  It is a Navajo sandpainting called End of the Trail.  Berta took a beautiful piece of stone, in the shape of a thick drink coaster, and painted a picture of a Native American on horseback using naturally colored sand.
I plan on sharing some art work with you for my next blog.
Once again, I welcome your interaction.
Keep on Creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment